Monday, August 7, 2017

August 7th, 2017 Words

August 7th, 2017 Words

Today: I maintained the integrity of my maintenance calorie budget, I remained refined sugar-free, I met my daily water goal, and I stayed well connected with exceptional support.

Keeping it short tonight. It's been a long Monday! But before I go...

Here's a DDWL excerpt from over 8 years ago-

June 2009:

Words may be calorie free, but they can still help keep the pounds on and even cause weight gain.

Words are powerful.

The power of suggestion is very real. 

I've touched on this subject one time before and I thought I would briefly tonight. If you're receiving “negative encouragement,” do not accept it!

Negative encouragement is when someone tries to encourage you with harsh negative statements. “You'll never lose the weight,” “you'll always be fat,” “you will never get into those jeans.”

These statements are often meant to be words that motivate by firing you up in an “I'll show them” kind of spirit. They don't work. Maybe they're not trying to motivate. Maybe the person delivering these words is a super toxic and abusive person.

I'm very lucky that I don't have to deal with such negativity, but I know people who do. You have to reject it every time.

You can do this. You don't have to just accept being fat. You will get into those jeans. It doesn't matter how much you try to tune out negative encouragement, your mind can pick it up and cling to it, and then you'll start to believe those negative words. 

Don't believe them, better, don't hear them in the first place. Using negative reverse psychology is a horrible practice. Accepting it can be extremely detrimental to your success!

And if you're the one telling yourself these things, oh my, you must stop!

You have to believe in yourself and give your brain positive thoughts of success. I speak from experience.

At one point I was convinced I would never lose weight, I would just live as long as I could at 500 plus pounds and die young.

I convinced myself that it would be an impossible task. I fed my brain negative words and all I got in return was negative results. 

I don't do that anymore and if someone tries to tell me something negative about my efforts, I immediately address it and shut it down.

I don't have time for negative influences.

And my 170 plus pounds lost to date is proof that staying positive is a crucial key to success.
---------------------------------------
It's interesting to read the above excerpt now, eight years later. If you read some of the posts from back then, you can see how my thoughts, plans, and goals, among other things, evolved. Some of the written thoughts in this diary still hold an enormous amount of truth. The above excerpt applies just as much now as it did then. What I've discovered since then: Most of the negative thoughts and words affecting me for many years were products of my own brain. Some still do, in different ways for different things.

Our brains do not know the difference between a thought and a spoken word. Our words matter. Our thoughts matter. And keeping it positive is, like most everything, a daily practice.

Today's Accountability Tweets:






























Thank you for reading and your continued support,
Strength,
Sean

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to add that I think it is super helpful NOT to discuss weight loss related things with people in our real life.

    First, mostly they do not get it. Like your abstinence, most people will not get that. Here, they understand, real world, not so much.

    Second if you talk about it, it gives them a green light. Every time you see them, it is going to be a topic. They think they have permission to give you all their ideas and opinions. They think they have permission to talk about it/you with others.

    In the beginning, it can be hard to keep quiet with people in real life. Because we are enthusiastic. And we think we KNOW. But I really think it is better to talk with like minded people on blogs or in groups like yours, only.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment. Thank you for your support!






Copyright © 2008-2020 Sean A. Anderson

The Daily Diary of a Winning Loser. All rights reserved.